McTyer looking for a home

ATH Torry McTyer

Los Angeles (Calif.) Cathedral wide out Torry McTyer committed to Cal back in October but had to re-open his recruitment when the Bears had a coaching change.

Torry McTyer was a part of one of the state's most explosive passing offenses. With quarterback Hayden Rettig running the show and three legit Div I pass catchers, the Phantoms were a tough matchup. McTyer picked up an offer from California and committed just two weeks later but is now back on the open market.

"The new staff came in and didn't honor my scholarship," McTyer said. "Unfortunately, they didn't let me know until last week so I didn't have a lot of time to go out and find a new school. Wyoming and UNLV have offered me and I'm also hearing from BYU.

"I actually took a visit last weekend to Wyoming and it was cool there. I've been talking with UNLV a lot and just talked to one of their coaches today. They really want me to sign and I'm very interested. At this point, I'm not 100% sure if I'll sign on Signing Day. I'm not going to rush anything, I really want to find the best fit for me."

McTyer said that ‘best fit' could be BYU if the Cougars come out and offer.

"My dad (Tim McTyer) played at BYU and according to a lot of people, he's kind of a legend there," McTyer said. "His picture is up all over their facilities. I know a lot of people want to see me at BYU and I've been talking with Coach Howell.

"He said they could offer and just wants me to be patient. I think it looks good though and I'm actually a little surprised they haven't offered yet. A lot of schools said they would have offered but I was already committed to Cal and now they're all filled up. Colorado, Utah and Arizona State all want me to wait until after Signing Day and if they have a spot left, they'll offer me but I'm just not sure I want to wait."

Would McTyer jump on the offer if BYU did offer?

"I'm really not sure," McTyer said. "BYU is a great school, I've been there a few times already. I'm just looking for the best fit right now. I really wish I had more time to go through this process but everything is fast forwarded for me. It's tough because if I wait until after Signing Day to see what happens, I might lost what I have now so I'm leaning towards signing on Wednesday and we'll just see how it goes."

Greg Biggins has been covering recruiting for over 15 years, covering the West since the mid-1990's and currently serves as a national analyst for Scout.com/FOXSportsNext.
Twitter | E-Mail |

Up Next


Tweets